The Plaza Monumental de Barcelona, often known simply as La Monumental, is a bullring in the city of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It was the last bullfighting arena in commercial operation in Catalonia. It was inaugurated in 1914 under the name Plaza de El Sport and was immediately expanded and renamed in 1916 with its current name. It is situated at the confluence of the Gran Via and Carrer Marina (Marina Street) in the Eixample district. It has a capacity of 19,582 within 26 rows of lines, boxes, and bleachers on the first floor inside and a superior barrage surrounding the building.
It was the last place in Catalonia where bullfights were held, since the Parliament of Catalonia passed a ban of bullfighting events on 28 July 2010 that came into force in 2012.
The monumental shelters “The Bullfighting Museum of Barcelona”. It is one of the most interesting museums related to this activity. It consists of two large rooms and exhibits the branding-irons and emblems of famous stock farms, the heads of famous bulls, a collection of posters from the past, old tickets, the suits of famous bullfighters and rejoneadores (mounted bullfighters), photographs, documents, a library and other objects relating to bullfighting in general, worth seeing.
Nowdays, the Monumental is often scene of musical events and circus spectacles.